Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Thanks be to God!



Ever feel like life is an uphill climb with no end in sight, and you have a toddler sitting on your shoulders?


Last May, the kids and I went to Delaware Gap National Park. We climbed Dingman's Falls and the steps just kept going up and up and up. Miriam was one and she did her best to keep climbing, but then I had to carry her part way up.


We just kept going, and going and going. And then we got to the top, and it was all worth it. Eastern Pennsylvania is just gorgeous in late May, and back home in Minnesota it was still very grey. At the top, I know I said " Thanks be to God" for all of it: getting to the top, and seeing God's beautiful creation.

The Wednesday in Holy Week readings have a great deal of "just keep going" messages.
Is. 50:7: "Because the LORD helps me, I will not be dismayed...and I know I will triumph!"
Ps. 70:1-2 "Please God, rescue me! ...May those who take delight in my trouble be turned back in disgrace"
Heb. 12:1 "Let us run with endurance the race which God has set before us"
Jesus needed those encouragements, as much as we do. He knew that his path didn't end in a beautiful waterfall, but death. He knew that the top steps were marked by the betrayal and denial of his best friends, not the smiling faces of super-fast sons. And Jesus did keep going. For us, for our salvation.
Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment