Monday, November 16, 2009

Holy Visions, Daniel!

Back in the boat, I am caught and confused by today's bible reading. (according to the list by ECLA that pops up my blog) Daniel 8:1-14 One Ram and one male goat, and more strange horns than you find on most deer.

Then I heard a holy one speaking, and another holy one said to the one that
spoke, "For how long is this vision concerning the regular burnt offering,
the transgression that makes desolate, and the giving over of the sanctuary
and host to be trampled?" And he answered him, "For two thousand three
hundred evenings and mornings; then the sanctuary shall be restored to its
rightful state."
Daniel 8:1-14

It's the kind of vision that can mean nothing and anything. It can be "translated" into a hundred cautionary tales, and God only knows which one is right. It's the time in the church year that we are presented with these apocalyptic tales and allowed to wonder at the connections between Daniels visions of 3000 years ago, and the nightly news. who is the all-powerful RAM? What MALE GOAT comes to trample on the Ram and assume the burnt offering and the host?

I don't know...

I live, I love and I laugh.

I try to give myself and my sacrifices to the God who made me and loves me.

I lift up the Host and the Cup and recall the lamb who died on the cross so that bloody sacrifices would no longer be needed.

I pray to the Spirit that my visions make more sense than Daniels.



No comments:

Post a Comment