Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Heart Center

My heart has heard you say, "Come and talk with me." And my heart responds, "LORD, I am coming." Ps. 27:9

My meditations yesterday after exercise led to my heart. As I listened to it beat, and imagined the blood flowing in and out, around and around, I saw the Cross in my heart. There are four chambers in your heart, and the walls between them form a cross. But more than that, I saw the cross that was written on my heart when I was baptized.

When we are baptized, the sign of the cross is made upon our forehead, and sometimes our chest. It's not a mark that is easily seen by others. On Ash Wednesday, we trace that baptismal cross in the ashes of our mortality. For a day or so, the mark of our salvation is visible. It reminds us every time we look in the mirror, it may give us chance to invite others into the conversation, if they ask about that black smudge on our head.

What about the other 365 days of the year? Does anyone see the mark of your salvation? Do you see the cross in your own life?

Take a moment, if you can, to sit back, relax, and listen to your heart beat.
Imagine the blood flowing in and around the arms of the cross,
In with the good, out with the bad,
Cleansing and renewing with each breath.

Open the eyes of my heart Lord, and let me see Jesus, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment