Thursday, January 03, 2008

Ouch!

What's your New Year's resolution?


Loose weight? Gain health?

Make friends? Destroy debt?

Find time for God? Loose yourself in leisure?


Why is it that the best things for us either taste bad, or hurt? This New Year's Day, my family and I got a membership at the new local YMCA. It's part of our get fit, and get moving resolution. The first day we went swimming in the family leisure pool with all three kids. It was hard to get them out of the water. Then we tried working out upstairs on the bike and eliptical machines. Yesterday I got into a Yoga class, and this morning I'm still "feeling the burn!"


God never promised us an easy ride. Jesus was born of a woman, and judging from my own experience, that hurts! Mary for sure, but probably Jesus as well.

Jesus was noticed and worshiped by the Magi, and Herod came to kill all his cohorts, all the toddlers in Bethlehem. Jesus escaped but lots of people got hurt.

So much pain surrounding a Savior.

Two verses to think about :
Mt. 16:24;Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

When we pick up our cross, or it is given to us, it is good to know that Jesus knows about it. Whatever the cross may be, He's been there, and heard about it, and probably lived through it.

But also: Mt. 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Seems rather contradictary to me. But God's not in the business of pain for pain's sake. God's way is straight forward: Love God and Love your neighbor, pass it on.

Sounds easy enough!

So did Yoga!

No comments:

Post a Comment